Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Decorate your own soul

We were teenagers.
Laying in the sun.
Basking in our youth.
Dreaming of the future.

We would be teachers. (check)
Marry the men of our dreams (check)
Have babies and live happily ever after (well...)

We were dreamers.
Hopeless romantics.
Good.

We would lay in the lake.
Dream of our futures.
And wonder where our lives would lead us.

When I think about those times I think of the poetry that I had plastered along the walls of my room, the song lyrics that spoke to my soul, the dreams that I had of the woman I would grow to be. Wondering what events would shape her.

As I think back I am drawn to one particular poem. One I have read so many times, I believe that it lives in me still-


After a while you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul
And you learn love doesn't mean leaning and company doesn't mean security.
And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts and presents aren't promises
You begin to accept your defeats with your head up and and your eyes open with the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child.
And you learn to build all your roads on today because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans
And futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.
After a while you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much
So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul
instead of waiting for someone else to bring you flowers
And you learn that you really can endure, that you really are strong and you really do have worth
And you learn and you learn
With every good-bye you learn.

Author: Veronica A. Shoffstall

Twenty years later we can remember those moments.
Those girls we once were.

Think of those words.
The words we spoke so many times.
A simple poem.
The words.
See their truth.
Feel their power.

For tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans.
And futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.

But you learn.
You do learn.
And we have learned. Having spoken a goodbye that we never could have imagined- never dreamt- never had believed would lie in both of our futures...

But we plant our own garden and decorate our own souls.
Because we know that's what they'd want us to do.
Because there is a place that is so serene and beautiful and our's. A place within us that dances in the sun, sings their names knows our peace.

A place.
Find it.
When you're ready.
It's there for the taking.

6 comments:

  1. amazing.. i love that poem, may have to steal it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing... I appreciate you stopping by and leaving your kind comment. I am only now able to get a little blog reading time :o) I'm going to take a peek around your lovely blog.

    Blessings & Aloha!
    and yes...please do stop by any time :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the poem Laura! Thanks for sharing... And as always, your post is so poignant and moving...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poem. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing... I appreciate you stopping by and leaving your kind comment. I am only now able to get a little blog reading time :o) I'm going to take a peek around your lovely blog.

    Blessings & Aloha!
    and yes...please do stop by any time :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing.. i love that poem, may have to steal it!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?