Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2022

Dear Andrew



Dear Andrew,

It's a snow day today. Our second in a row and for the first time (in the longest time), I haven't worked which is something I didn't realize I needed~ but when I have that moment to pause, I am usually gifted what I need. It's always been like that. Losing you hasn't been "easier" as time has gone by, rather time has gifted me ways to cope and learn to do life without someone who has shaped me so very much.

I was on the treadmill (I run for my headspace) and I was walking a bit after when a song that reminds me of you came on. I looked to the shelf and there was your baby book and a flood of memories just came pouring back. Seeing the words I had written days after losing you, the clothes that you had worn, the cards and words people had sent us (I have a box somewhere else but a select few got into your baby book, I don't know why those were there)... I had forgotten some things- speaking at conferences about your loss, the newspaper article, the words a friend who hadn't spoken to me in years sent (and I haven't heard from her since). It all just made me pause.

You have had such an impact on others- in the beginning I think it was you- just hearing your story but in the years since I have seen you living on in many of the things that we do and even if it's something small I do and I see someone smile I think, "that was because of Andrew" and they are none the wiser. 
But I know.

Sean just came in and asked me what I was writing and I told him a letter to you.
He said to me, "Mom, what do you think it would be like if Andrew hadn't died and was still here?"

I told him the truth. 
I honestly don't know... But I do know life would be very different.
Sean said, "I bet I wouldn't be here." I told him that I was certain one of you wouldn't be but I wasn't convinced it would have been Sean- everything would have been different. Everything.

The thing is, I can't imagine my life with you in it.
And I can't imagine my life without you in it (the way you are now).
I am who I am now, because of you.

Joe goes off to college next fall. Keep an eye out for him, will you son? I always pictured you both going through this together (maybe not the same direction but the same new chapter- a turning page if you will). This year has brought so much emotion rushing back. You are never forgotten.

I love you. Thanks for the visit.

It felt good to cry for you today.
It felt good to pause.

Love you.
Always,

Mom

HERE is a video I made as I was leafing through your things to that song I told you about.


3 comments:

  1. I spent a long time being so upset that this happened to you.. I learned about your boys when I was 5 or 6 months pregnant with Jackson, I was at a friend's baby shower.. Doug Glowinskis sons baby shower, your mom was there and we hadn't seen each other in a long time.. of course I asked about you, and without a second breath she told me about Andrew.. My heart broke that day, how could this happen to my beautiful friend and her baby. As I read this with tears streaming down my face, I felt all of these emotions.. How thankful I am that you had Andrew and that through the tremendous heartache, you were able to help so many people with their own losses, including myself. I know I have said it before, but you are such a gift to this world. Thank you for sharing Andrew with us, Thank you for having the strength and courage to have all your babies, and for sharing them with us all, we need me Drapal Dorans in this world. LOVE you SO much and Thankful for you everyday.��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think I knew that!!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I love you my friend. Thank you for taking the time to share! We were just talking about that day (probably because of the post) and how it impacted different people. I literally just said to Ali how it must have been so hard for our moms to see their children go through this. I know for my mom it was awful. She was there to be one of my labor coaches and suddenly I was whisked away and she didn’t know what had happened. Jeff and I were together for like an hour or so I think and my dad and brother came up to join her. I just can’t imagine. But then, obviously, I can. Love you!

      Delete
    2. I can't even imagine how very hard that day was.. You have Always been an Amazing person, Andrew showed you just how strong and Amazing you are. Not a day goes by that I dont wish this wasn't your reality, but as I read this, I realized, you are right.. Everything would be different and what a gift your life is with all of your babes, on earth and in heaven. So thankful for you and Andrew. Love you so much! 💗

      Delete

Your thoughts?