Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Dear Jonasen,

Last night I couldn't sleep.
For the next day I knew that I would be presenting Joe with a bible.  Though I knew about this for some time, I didn't know quite what to say.  How do you share your faith with an 8 year old?  How do you share experiences that have shaped your faith?  When I think about my faith much of it was carved out of pain... when I was in the trenches going toe to toe with God... wondering Why?

But in the end I knew he was real and I wanted nothing more than to share that knowledge with those I love, especially my children.

And so last night I sat down and began to write.  I wrote in Joe's bible all the things I wanted him to know.  I know that like all of us his walk in faith will have twists and turns and detours.  I do hope and pray though that he'll always remember this path that I am trying so hard to carve for him.

Here is my letter to Joe:



And if you'd like to see the actual presentation of Joe's Bible and my reading of the letter, you can click HERE.  My daughter video taped it for us.  There are many shots of our feet, but I am glad she captured the moment.

4 comments:

  1. Laura I just cried my brains out! That was such a WONDERFUL letter to your son. He is sooo lucky to have you as his mother...what a beautiful gift. Thank you for sharing that with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you T! (but sorry to make you cry!) I felt I wanted to have a video of my voice reading it to him so that he can always go back and listen to it (and perhaps my grandkids and greats some day too). It's amazing the love we have for our children but for you and I who have struggled and I think really thought about all these blessings, it can be even more so!!
      Miss you! (((hugs))) L

      Delete
  2. I watched the video yesterday on Facebook. So, so beautiful. He is blessed to have your as his mother. The biggest blessing is for him to have God in his life at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby! I agree with you! I hope that somehow he can keep that faith though I know there will twists and turns in the road. I sometimes think that doubting and questioning can actually make your faith stronger. I think it did at least for Jeff and I. <3
      Hugs- L

      Delete

Your thoughts?